Since 1940, the family-run business, Mollerup Mølle, has operated from its base in Nykøbing Mors, while expanding its facilities to other locations across Denmark. In 2021, a new chapter began when the company moved part of its operations to Port of Aalborg, both collaborating on constructing 8,000 square metres of warehouse capacity spread over four warehouses.
The first warehouse is now in use, which already has had a positive impact. Last week, Mollerup Mølle sent 15,000 tons of grain from Aalborg to Spain, which is the company’s largest agricultural product shipment to date.
– We are pleased to already see the new warehouse facilities’ positive effects. The recent shipment was the largest single shipment of its kind. And despite its magnitude, the loading went like clockwork. At its fastest, we loaded 1,000 tons of cargo per hour to everyone’s satisfaction. This loading speed and volume is a consequence of, amongst other things, a good collaboration with the logistics team at Port of Aalborg, says Jakob Stjerne Hansen, terminal manager at Mollerup Mølle.
Strategic hub for Mollerup Mølle
Mollerup Mølle’s new presence at Port of Aalborg is of great importance. Although the company’s turnover passes a billion kroner, a large part of the market share is still located in North Jutland. With the new warehouse based close to the East Port’s quay, Mollerup Mølle can service local and international customers with more efficiency.
– For many years, we have firmly anchored our business in and around North Jutland, and that is how it should remain. We continuously investigate new business areas such as import and export of raw materials and fertilisers. In Aalborg, we get direct access to an efficient logistics setup, which, amongst other things, helps strengthen our competitiveness outside Danish borders, says Jakob Stjerne Hansen, who elaborates:
– The water depth at the Port of Aalborg allows us to receive ships with more than 30,000 tons of goods. With the railway terminal located close to the warehouses and the bulk terminal’s immediate vicinity — which can store 60,000 tons of crops in the long-term — the location is ideal for future-proofing our domestic and international growth opportunities, he says.
Port of Aalborg is pleased with Mollerup Mølle’s great start in Aalborg:
– It is always positive when customers and partners experience value from the solutions we create together. Prior to starting the project, Mollerup Mølle was interested in developing the best possible cargo handling facilities and we have met this with the quayside location and unhindered access to the multi-terminal and railway networks. Now, we look forward to following Mollerup Mølle’s positive development, explains Senior Commercial Manager at Port of Aalborg, Michael Rosenkilde Lind.
Mollerrup Mølle’s first warehouse became operational in the summer of 2022. The remaining three warehouses are expected to be completed in March 2023. Hansen, terminal- og afviklingsansvarlig hos Mollerup Mølle.
For further information, please contact:
- Michael Rosenkilde Lind, Senior Commercial Manager, Bulk, Project & Cruise, Port of Aalborg A/S, tel. +45 29 20 72 11 and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Press service: Maja Thordahl Schou, Head of Branding & PR, Port of Aalborg A/S, tel. +45 22 61 83 08 and email@example.com