A unanimous recruitment committee among Port of Aalborg’s board and management has elected former chairman of the Danish People’s Party Kristian Thulesen Dahl as new CEO. He will now take charge of a company that has experienced significant growth over the past several years.
Revenue has increased from DKK 86 million in 2006 to DKK 239 million in the last financial year. Earnings also more than tripled in the same period. The positive development is primarily down to Port of Aalborg’s strategic transformation from a traditional port company to a modern inland port with an eye on both the seaway and hinterland and extensive logistics setups, as well as a sharp focus on sustainability and the green transition.
Earlier this year, the port’s long-time CEO Claus Holstein announced his wish to retire by no later than March 2023. Port of Aalborg has since had a large field of applicants to choose from:
– We were delighted with the large and highly competent field of applicants we had to choose from. However, we did not doubt Kristian Thulesen Dahl was the most suitable applicant to continue the realization of our ambitious development strategy, which includes investments of up to two billion kroner, a goal of attracting 10-15 large companies and creating 5,000 jobs in Aalborg Municipality by 2030, says Chairman of the Board Lasse Frimand Jensen and continues:
– Most people know him as a significant politician. Above all, we see him as an experienced leader, negotiator and strategist. We need these competencies at Port of Aalborg, and we are pleased to have now reached an agreement.
Kristian Thulesen Dahl will start his new job in Aalborg on 1 August 2022 and help represent Port of Aalborg at the massive Tall Ships Race event, which takes place at Aalborg’s central harbor from 4 to 7 August 2022.
From politics to business
Kristian Thulesen Dahl is one of the most significant profiles in Danish politics from the past 20 years and is now leaving the Danish Parliament. He has been a non-stop member of the Danish Parliament since September 1994, while being chairman of the Danish People’s Party from 2012 to early 2022. Since 1998, he has been a member of Danmarks Nationalbank’s Board of Representatives, and until 2021, he was also a member of Danmarks Nationalbank’s Board of Directors. Infrastructure is not new to Kristian Thulesen Dahl, as he has previously served on the board of Billund Airport.
– My desire to leave Danish politics has grown in recent years. I experienced a lot in politics and now want to use my competencies in the business community. Port of Aalborg’s CEO position is desirable, as I can work with skilled and competent employees to create growth and new jobs. I am incredibly happy to be given this opportunity and excited about the future ahead.
For more information, please contact:
- Lasse Frimand Jensen, Chairman of the Board, Port of Aalborg, tel. +45 31 99 06 49 and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Press Service: Maja Thordahl Schou, Head of Branding & PR, Port of Aalborg A/S, tel. +45 22 61 83 08 and email@example.com